Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hockey Creds

I'm not referring to the 'creds' you might earn by being an excellent skater or a skilled player. I've had my moments over the years, but I'm lucky to be an average hockey player.  No, I'm thinking a little more along the financial line.  Over the years I think hockey has developed a bad rep for being an expensive sport and while I don't believe it to be completely deserved I will admit that I have had to deal with sticker shock a couple of times.  There is definitely more up-front equipment cost.  Many sports require little more than a pair of sweats, jock (or jill) shorts, and a helmet to complete their list of gear.  Maybe there's also a glove or shoes, but you get the idea...

This season we started with the hand-me-down session as it is Sam's first year of hockey.  We laid everything out and had to decide first off what things were not usable at all anymore.  Then we looked at which things were too small for Justin and yet big enough for Sam [he's quite a bit bigger than his older brother was at his age].  Finally, we needed to round out both sets with new stuff.

Sam started a Taste of Hockey clinic early August so we already got him all the additional equipment he needed.  So far he's been loving it and I'm really not surprised.  There are many ways to truly enjoy playing hockey but it's an environment that requires a person to be very physical in order to excel at it.  Racing, pushing, shoving, and shooting [and eventually hitting] are encouraged and this puts Sam in his element.  As long as he doesn't get bored he will enjoy the physical freedom it gives him.

Justin needed new skates, breezers, and gloves.  Skates because he grew out of the ones we bought him [fricken weed] at the end of last season to get him through the last couple of weeks  - here's a hint, if you have multiple kids buy used and pass them down as it will be a big savings over the long haul.  Breezers because the old ones went to Sam.  And gloves because he lost one of his current pair - another hint, develop the habit early of putting the equipment directly into the hockey bag as it is taken off so other people don't inadvertently take your stuff too.

So I walk in with the old 'used' skates that I bought last year with the price stickers still on them with the intention of trading them in on new 'used' skates and, if necessary, on new 'new' skates.  I'm greeted by my favorite clerk, as he gives skates the best edge ever, and whom I'm pretty sure is part owner in the shop.  He has come to recognize me over the last few years as a repeat customer and I appreciate that he cuts me a deal every so often.  Today was one of those days.  He gave me a great deal on the trade-in value of the old skates and I make out of the shop feeling pretty good.  It's one of those win-win situations because he knows I'll be back.

The next day I took both boys to open hockey up at the arena.  This being the first time Justin has skated this year only now do we realize that his stick is also too small.  I have to be on the ice in short order so Bird handles this one with a quick trip back to the shop.  But as soon as the session is over we realize that Justin is going to need new laces for these skates and a new helmet.  So back we go!  Surprised to see me?  Bird starts walking around the store to shop a little on her own [uh oh]. While the clerk and I work out the fit of the new helmet Bird has time to lay a few things down at the checkout counter.  Finally feeling that we are nearing the end of our buying spree I quip with the clerk that I should think about a line of credit with him.  To this he plunked down a thick, ancient looking ledger book and said, "We can do that!"

Ok, now I have to admit, that did scare me a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah...the benefits of dealing with a hometown operation. I don't mind paying a little more to keep the little guys in business. We haven't done the official inventory yet but I have a feeling we're going to be dropping some serious coin with the boys growing so much over the summer. It's so worth it when you get to watch them play though so I'll quit whining about it already! I hope we get to see you this season!