Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Give 'em the red card

So we've made it to the soccer game and we're betwixt games - that magical period when the people from the preceeding game haven't left yet and the people for the next game have arrived but find they have no place to go. It's pure chaos, nobody wants to sit facing the sun, and everyone wants a front row spot. It's the rush of general seating at a Van Halen concert (well in the 80's anyway).

I'm standing there holding 3 folding chairs, 2 water bottles, my dinner in baggies, and the end of the dog leash wondering when the heck these people are going to make room for us to put our stuff down. Their kids have been done playing for 8 minutes now - I can shower, shit, and shave in that amount of time if pressed. But our need is not their concern. I see a spot start to open right at mid-field next to the team's equipment bag so I hand off the dog and move in slowly not wanting to rush anyone out before they're good and ready to leave. Maybe they'll leave a good tip. I look left and right a couple of times and when it's clear I'm not in anyone's way I drop the chairs and other stuff leaving enough room for the team to gather behind the sideline. No sooner do I have one chair setup than a mom and her two older spectator sons move right in front of me throwing up 2 chairs on either side of a blanket. One of the boys plops down on the blanket on his stomach and sticks his legs out behind him under my chair! Bird and I look at each other in amazement. Then our friend Sue looks at us quizzically and another mom Sharon has a shocked look on her face. Did that shit just happen? But then everyone knows you have to be sitting in the chair to claim the spot! Doh!

We all began to discuss how incredibly rude some people are quite loudly. This is completely Minnesota nice passive–aggressive happening here, but I really am more shocked than angry. I took pictures as evidence. See for yourself. Mine is the orange chair, am I in the wrong here?






My better nature said to let it go, which I did smartly. However, secretly, my lesser nature said to take the dog for a walk and when she poops accidentally step in it before trodding on their damn blanket. Fortunately, I never got the opportunity. Jo-Jo was all pooped out.

We lost the soccer game, but my son Sam is showing a ferocity and focus I've not before seen him demonstrate in sports and this makes me a winner! I mean him a winner, and me proud of myself. Oh crap, I mean proud of him!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and people thought inbreeding only happened in the South. Case in point and you have pictures to prove it.

Your blog looks GREAT already! Way to jump in with both feet. Can't wait to see if you have a poop tag for every post.